Sunday, April 5, 2009

Exam? So?

In my opinion, Malaysian education system is definitely sucks. It's totally (even if it's not, it's nearly totally) based on academic results to evaluate one's capability. Honestly, I hate this.

Lets just give you an example. Two person, A and B. A, a typical bookworm (or probably genius), scores higher than 90 for every test. However, he doesn't have any leadership properties, lacks of decision making abillity, and never gives his commitment on his task. Whereas B, he is a little bit poor in study, however, he has all the abilities above where A doesn't possess. Everybody knows that B should be appreciated more than A, but in Malaysian case, A always (maybe just most of the time) has more privileges than B.

That is the awfulness in the feudal education system in Malaysia. I might be over, but that's what I feel. And guess what? This makes me kind of look down of exam. When I was in the primary and maybe in lower secondary, I give full effort to my study. 100%. Now? Nah. I just do what is enough to get an A grade. Even if I can't get it, I don't feel down much. For me, results is just one of the criteria to success. You aren't in the hell even if you perform badly in your exams.

Honestly, I appreciate those who can perform their tasks well rather than those who can give bunches of ideas but unable to execute them. The latter ones for me are nobody other than idiots. Don't they know that action is the best language?

Besides that, I also have better impression to those who are versatile. What I mean is, in this competitive world nowadays, if you just have one particular skill, no matter how professional you are, you could still die of starvation. What if you the skill you have is replaced? Doomsday. Therefore, I highly appreciate those who is multiskilled and is able to do a lot of tasks.

Now lets look about teaching Maths and Science in English. Erm... I think MOE hasn't done well in this area as well. Firstly, they didn't realise that in primary schools all subjects (except languages of course) should be taught in mother tongue to enhance understanding and absorption. The worst thing is there are a lot of researches already conducted in the world! See? The lazyness and cincainess of the government. Secondly, for secondary schools, I think this policy is absolutely perfect. What I mean is, as we already mastered the basic English in the primary, learning these subjects in English is a perfect opportunity to polish the students' English right? Furthermore, it's also perform nicely as a transition into university. So teaching Maths and Science in English for secondary schools is indeed a wise decision.

As a conclusion, I think Dato' Seri Najib, our new PM should really give a great concern at educational fields as Malaysians now including me are still like the frogs under the well and often lack of unity. Please, our honoured PM, reconstruct the criteria of evaluating students' ability! Don't bury their hidden capabilities for the sake of Malaysia! Be more broad minded cause the country is in your hands!

4 posts in 4 days. XD Break record.

No comments: